Border Wars: Jurisdictional Challenges for Psychotherapists Providing Telehealth with David Jensen, JD
Saturday, March 30, 2019
9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
French Hospital Copeland Education Pavillion
3rd Floor Auditorium
1911 Johnson Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA
The potential of telehealth to change the health care milieu is unquestionable. However, it also can create some complex jurisdictional issues for unwitting psychotherapists as they practice, whether as a psychotherapist or as a “life coach.” In this six-hour class, Dave Jensen, J.D. will review the legal concept of personal jurisdiction for purposes of civil lawsuits, criminal actions, and licensing board complaints. He will also review leading cases in this area that will help psychotherapists decide what to do when their patients travel out-of-state on vacation or for work, move to other states after therapy has commenced, or present for therapy in California from other states.
This workshop is designed to help you:
1. Describe the legal concept of jurisdiction as applied in lawsuits between former patients and health care providers.
2. Describe the legal concept of jurisdiction as applied in cases where a state is accusing a health care provider of practicing without a license in that state.
3. Describe the legal concept of jurisdiction as applied in licensing board proceedings.
4. Apply the “follow-up care” doctrine to situations involving the travel of patients to other jurisdictions.
5. Identify three activities that create jurisdictional traps for psychotherapists, whether they are doing psychotherapy or life coaching.
This course meets the qualifications for six hours of continuing education credits for LMFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs and/or LEPs as required by the Board of Behavioral Sciences. Completion of this course earns a discount on liability insurance. You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the workshop.
To register, go to our website http://centralcoastcamft.org> Events > Law & Ethics Workshop > Register > follow the prompts and continue to complete the form!
If you choose not to pay online, please BRING THE CHECK WITH YOU ON THE DAY OF THE EVENT. We are no longer accepting checks for events via mail, only in person.Refund Policy for all events: Registrants who do not attend or fail to cancel registration one week prior to scheduled event will be charged full fee. The only exception will be for registrants who are unable to attend because of a family emergency. Please contact CCC-CAMFT if you are unable to attend via email: email@example.com or by phone 805.234.5998. There may be a waiting list of people who want to attend.
Directions to the event will be sent to you upon registration.