Psychedelics in Mental Health: Hope is on the Way!with Jennifer Allen, LMFT
This is likely all new information and a new paradigm for most therapists as it is very new to the field all together and very few therapists have been trained for this; however, the implications for therapists in the next couple of years re: how clients will be treated and how that treatment impacts the way we orient to our work will impact many therapists.
In this 2-hour course, we will cover a lot of new information about the two psychedelic drugs: MDMA and psilocybin that are currently being studied with promising success for PTSD and a myriad of other mental health issues respectively. These two medicines are moving toward medical legalization rapidly. We will also touch on ketamine, which is already a legal prescription medication used for TRD.
Our country has a complicated history with psychedelics that cost us four decades of research and relief for so many who have suffered. With the tenacity of some passionate visionaries and researches—and a lot of private funding, there is a light at the end of the tunnel …and that is no hallucination!
- Describe one neurobiological component of what happens in the brain with psychedelics.
- Summarize the history of psychedelic use in mental health in the U.S.
- Discuss results of at least 2 current psychedelic research studies.
- Discuss implications for paradigm shift on how we treat mental health issues with psychedelics
- Define FDA breakthrough status for a new drug.
- List the 2 psychedelics that currently have breakthrough status and list what mental health issue each treats.
- Describe Expanded Access and what it means to clients with PTSD.
- List at least 3 competencies that psychedelic therapists must have.
Friday, July 26, 2019
Presentation from 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
(You may arrive at 8:30 for socialization, snacks & libation!)
Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
2201 Lawton Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Free or $25 for 2 CEUs for Chapter members, $30 for non-Chapter members
Directions will be provided upon registration.